The first phase of the Kensington Square redevelopment was completed in 2017 with the renovation of 120 apartments. The second phase of the redevelopment of the Kensington Square apartments and surrounding areas consists of multiple parts:
- Renovation of 88 existing, historic Kensington Square apartments in eighteen multifamily apartment buildings for current residents;
- Construction of 15 new, affordable housing units in one new-construction building. This will include 2 studios, 5 one-bedrooms, 5 two-bedrooms, and 3 three-bedroom apartments;
- Improvements to both Garden Street Park and Day Street Park;
- Construction of ground floor commercial units along Chapel Street to include a new, accessible management office and house TCB’s Community Life Program;
- Strengthening of the assets of local nonprofit organizations, in exchange for new construction and greater efficiency of management through community partnerships and land swap agreements.
Download a factsheet on the project, available in ENGLISH and SPANISH.
UPDATE: The Kensington Square project is currently on pause pending the resolution of a lawsuit against the City of New Haven that is impacting a component of the project.
Please check our News and Updates section for regular updates on the project and lawsuit.